Thanks for thinking about contributing to Eclipse Velocitas. We really appreciate the time and effort you want to spend helping to improve Eclipse Velocitas.
However, in order to get you started as fast as possible, we need to go through some organizational issues first.
Eclipse Contributor Agreement
Before your contribution can be accepted by the project team, contributors must electronically sign the Eclipse Contributor Agreement (ECA).
Commits that are provided by non-committers must have a Signed-off-by field in the footer indicating that the author is aware of the terms by which the contribution has been provided to the project. The non-committer must additionally have an Eclipse Foundation account and must have a signed Eclipse Contributor Agreement (ECA) on file.
For more information, please see the Eclipse Committer Handbook: https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/#resources-commit
Making Your Changes
- Fork the repository on GitHub.
- Create a new branch for your changes.
- Make your changes following the code style guide (see Code Style Guide section above).
- When you create new files, make sure you include a proper license header at the top of the file (see License Header section below).
- Make sure you include test cases for non-trivial features.
- Make sure test cases provide sufficient code coverage (see GitHub actions for minimal accepted coverage).
- Make sure the test suite passes after your changes.
- Commit your changes into that branch.
- Use descriptive and meaningful commit messages. Start the first line of the commit message with the issue number and title e.g.,
[#9865] Add token-based authentication.
- Squash multiple commits that are related to each other semantically into a single one.
- Make sure you use the
-sflag when committing as explained above.
- Push your changes to your branch in your forked repository.
Adding Documentation to Hugo
- Add the markdown document to the appropriate folder in the path velocitas-docs/hugo/hugo/content.
- Add the front-matter
--- title: "title of the file" date: 2022-05-09T13:43:25+05:30 ---
- Additional front matter that can be added –
- url : "specifying a definite url to the file"
- weight : 10 (used for ordering your content in lists. Lower weight gets higher precedence.)
- The images need to be put in path velocitas-docs/hugo/hugo/static/assests. The image reference should be /assests/image.jpg in the markdown file. (Note: Do not use relative paths or url)
- In case you are creating a new folder, create _index.md file with the front matter only.
- Install hugo version 0.98.0 extended Release v0.98.0 · gohugoio/hugo (github.com)
- Install Docsy theme in the path velocitas-docs/hugo/hugo/theme –
#Run this command from the root directory of velocitas-docs git clone https://github.com/google/docsy.git hugo/hugo/themes/docsy
- Install pre-requisites
cd themes/docsy/userguide/ npm install npm install --save-dev postcss
- Run the command hugo server visit localhost:1313 from the velocitas-docs/hugo/hugo directory to see the rendered static site.
Submitting the Changes
Submit a pull request via the normal GitHub UI.
- Do not use your branch for any other development, otherwise further changes that you make will be visible in the PR.
Please make sure any file you newly create contains a proper license header like this:
# Copyright (c) <year> Contributors to the Eclipse Foundation # # See the NOTICE file(s) distributed with this work for additional # information regarding copyright ownership. # # This program and the accompanying materials are made available under the # terms of the Apache License 2.0 which is available at # http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 # # SPDX-License-Identifier: Apache-2.0
You should, of course, adapt this header to use the specific mechanism for comments pertaining to the type of file you create.
Please do not forget to add your name/organization to the
/legal/legal/NOTICE.md file’s Copyright Holders section. If this is not the first contribution you make, then simply update the time period contained in the copyright entry to use the year of your first contribution as the lower boundary and the current year as the upper boundary, e.g.,
Copyright 2017, 2018 ACME Corporation
- A pipeline run will be triggered on every PR merge. This run will trigger the hugo docs build
- Hugo v0.98.0 extended is set up for the runner
- Docsy theme is setup for beautification of static site
- Then dependencies are installed for the theme
- Static site is generated and stored in a folder "public"
- The contents of public are committed to gh_pages branch which is exposed to host the GitHub pages